Skip to main content

Stereotypes


My Character Profiles
Front and Side View


Action View 

Following Stereotypes

I feel like it's hard to compare my character to other characters as it relates to stereotypes. It's not human so it doesn't have a race, and it isn't the same "species" as any other characters I know. That being said, I believe it resembles a certain type of character, ones that are generally small, cute, and don't talk. Examples of this could be Rocket from my first blog (who I used as inspiration for my character), PacMan, or QBert. I think of the Fire Boy as more masculine, mainly because I call him Fire Boy, but he doesn't necessarily have a gender. His color scheme doesn't exactly contain certain colors that relate to one specific gender over another. In his passive form, he seems more feminine with curvy lines, but as he becomes angry, his body looks more jagged and masculine. This may be why I determined him to be a boy, the player may decide for themselves what they feel what gender the character leans towards, if it does at all.

Breaking Stereotypes
To make my character different from those who fit in a similar category, I gave it a different origin and environment for it to explore. My character comes explicitly from magic, although this magic isn't fully explained (at least for now) while the other characters I mentioned don't actually have an origin...they just seem to exist. Additionally, my character has an environment to explore that isn't like any of these other characters. It takes place in a time period that actually occurred rather than a mythical land or abstract, unexplained place.

Also, a big element this character has that the other characters lack is the ability to look very not-cute. The angry Fire Boy isn't exactly nightmare fuel, but he certainly looses his "cute factor." Other cute characters like Kirby still look cute when they're angry because they still have a similar facial structure and the same body. But since Fire Boy undergoes a complete change, this isn't the case. So; do you think this is still enough to make Fire Boy stand out among other small, non-talking characters? Let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dimensions of Arthur Morgan

Respect In order for a player to truly respect the character they're playing as, it must be developed in three different ways: physically, sociologically, and psychologically. A character's physical aspect should mirror their role in the game. Playing as a stocky young boy in a Call of Duty game would be pretty unconvincing. The sociological aspect reflects both a character's background and the environment they currently reside in, and how it affects them, as it helps one to understand their motives and how these outside forces impact their means to achieve them. Finally, the player should have a good understanding of what's going on inside their character's mind. If they witnessed a murder would the character feel sickened or cold-hearted towards what they just saw? This depends on who they are and how they think. Arthur Morgan A cowboy in the 1800s and main character in Red Dead Redemption 2, Arthur Morgan is tied to a ragtag gang compiled of men, wo

Color Palettes

Character My character is bold, curious, kind, and adventurous. I believe a color scheme of warm colors fits best with this kind of personality to make the player feel comforted and happy to play as this character. I used a website to create my own color palette. Red: Strong feelings of love and warmth (and anger when the character gets mad). Orange: Joy and enthusiasm as this character explores a new world. Yellow: To emphasize the happiness and joy the character feels. White: Purity, sincerity, good. This character is very trustworthy and noble. Environment In a stark contrast to my character, the world doesn't feel so warm and welcoming. Instead, it's filled with darker colors to make the player feel more uneasy, like something bad could happen at any second...and it just might. In this environment, my character acts as the only true light in a world of darkness. Red: This red is darker than the character's red to bring out a feeli